Wednesday, December 27, 2017

October 2017 Email Excerpts

October 2nd:
Hi Mom! I think I have everything I need. Nothing else I can think of to put in the box.

This weekend was crazy. I don't know where to begin. Well...it starts with me. I misplaced our phone after we went to visit people with a member, so my companion and one of our sister training leaders were without a phone while we were on exchanges. I tried not to worry about it too much, but I felt bad. Luckily there was a neighbor who let them borrow their phone to make a few calls and try to find the phone. The member we got a ride from left for general conference basically the entire weekend, so if it's in her car... I don't know! Missionaries have been trying to get a hold of us for different things and we couldn't get a hold of them. Luckily the STLs knew it was missing because we told them. During exchanges with Sister Allen we went jogging in the morning. It felt great, but my stomach felt tight and hurt a little after. I didn't pay attention to it because that's normal. But then we were planning out our day and I suddenly was having a lot of pain, so I went to the bathroom thinking that was the problem and I almost threw up. ugh I don't even know what the heck happened but I got woozy and very pale. It was so strange, but I rested for 15 minutes and felt a LOT better (I PROMISE!). I got some food in my system and nothing else happened that was bad. I had fun helping the BYU-I sisters at their booth on campus and was able to make my goal of ten people written down who wanted help with missionary opportunities or participate in skype lessons. To make the weekend crazier, there was a rumor that e-coli was found in one of the pipes that someone was analyzing. So on the safe side we've been drinking boiled or bottled water. It's been turning into survival of the fittest in Rexburg!!😲 Just kidding, it hasn't been that bad, but definitely NOT what I was expecting at all!! Ha ha! Thankfully we have a phone now too. It's like the one I was using at home. We've had fun this weekend with general conference and continuing to love and have fun with the other missionaries here. I'll send you pictures!!!!
I was able to watch all the sessions of General Conference! :)  We were asked to watch it as a zone at a church building.  I was so shocked when President Eyring gave the news that Robert D. Hales had passed away. It was pretty sad, but I'm so glad that Neil L. Anderson reminded us of his inspired words. I was also really impressed at the inspiration I found that helped me with some of my concerns. I always love what Quentin L. Cook has to say. He made a point in our service to God and His fellowman that it is not where we serve but HOW we serve that matters.  I really want to figure out which British cartoon character he was talking about! :) I also really liked Dieter F. Uctdorf's talk about Bobby the Wonder Dog :). That was a really cool story, and his talk made me think of an inactive member whose struggling with wanting to be home with God and her family. Throughout the entire talk I was thinking about her. W. Craig Zwick's talk also helped us last night. We've been struggling with meeting with one of our investigators, and I had almost given up. But my companion didn't thankfully. We actually got to the root of what the problem was and why he wasn't able to meet with us. He also has questions about the plan of salvation. His daughter passed away recently, and a friend who is a member tried to explain the plan of salvation to him in a little too much detail. He set things up so that his mother in law can come on Saturday to the lesson and we will teach him the basics so he understands. He's a really sweet guy and was eager to grab his scriptures and find the chapter my companion asked him to read after our visit. 

I love you!
~Sister Brinkerhoff







October 9th:

What I did this morning for P-day (the lady cut it in the back shorter than I was expecting, but I'm ok with it):




Hi Mom!!! 

Now that those pictures are taken care of... :)

Here's what I've been up to other than my hair... "C's" baptismal date is on November 4th, but he was out of town for his parent's anniversary so didn't make it to sacrament meeting yet. They don't seem to make church a priority anyway, but I guess it doesn't help that his mom has to work on Sundays. We're working with the YM and the bishop on rides and support. There's also "B" and "S", but "B's" been out of town for a while now. I found out "S's" mom is sisters with "T", a sister from Hibbard. They're both working hard to be active again and are even looking for time off on Sundays to be able to do so! :) Their kids on the other hand aren't super interested in our visits. :( A sister from the assisted living house named "L" went to the temple and bore her testimony in sacrament meeting about it. She so sweet! We still visit her as she progresses. We even had dinner with her and her nurse (a student on campus). Her nurse's roommates are hilarious!

Hopefully I'll run into Oscar and Emily soon and pass on your message. :) Other people we're teaching are "T", the "H's" and "J". "T" was being taught by the APs but then moved here. He's golden! He came to church yesterday and the 86th ward reached out to him. The bishop let people be aware of him coming and they immediately befriended him. It was perfect!! He's really excited for his baptism on the 28th! We haven't been able to have a solid lesson with the "H's". The lessons always fall through. They moved here from Rigby after their oldest daughter passed away. The wife is inactive but won't say why. Just has some problems with people at church. They almost came to church but didn't feel well. "J" is "T's" nephew, and I'm not sure how long we'll teach him because he doesn't have permission to be baptized by his mom. "T" really wanted him to learn more about the gospel. We originally started going to help her husband, so we're trying to teach the whole family. We've only gone as far as the Restoration lesson, and they've been pretty busy ever since. Aside from all that, we've been working with less active members as well (no surprise in Rexburg).  "M. R." is softening!!! At first she was pretty set in her ideas about the church and about any churches in general. She loved general conference because they talked about Jesus Christ so much, and last time we met with her we helped her find connections with the Book of Mormon to the Bible. She was hesitant about praying out loud with us at first, but after the 5th or 6th time I've met with her she finally said a very lovely prayer! :) I was so happy that night!! We've had a lot of cool experiences with people here like that! I think they're still trying to get used to all the changes in missionaries in this area still. :)  

Well, I already sent the photos, but yes, I got my hair cut really short. I've never had it this short in my life!!! :P But it's great and I love it!  

I'm still figuring out what to do about school or life in general, but next week we're going to the temple so I'll keep it in mind as I'm there. BTW, we're doing that on Thursday, so I'll be emailing on Thursday (just a heads up!)

Thank you for the package! and tell Dean I said thank too! I ran out of time to finish my emails (I'm the worst!!). I'm responding back little by little to everyone. I started talking to all my Nampa friends who are serving missions, and ever since then I started getting more than I could handle-- ha ha! Not to mention I've kept in touch with former companions.
Have an awesome week!
~Sister Brinkerhoff


October 19th:



Hi! 
Sorry, I completely forgot to answer your question!!! I know for sure that I'm leaving for home in January. So as for what I want for Christmas...yes, maybe send little things. I was also wondering if it was ok for us to just save the money for something fun or big, because I'm honestly not sure what I want. 

Ha ha so far I love having short hair, but I'll probably grow it out again. Not sure yet. :P 

As for investigators, they're doing ok. Things are stressful sometimes. Our golden investigator might be moving away, our second "on date" investigator's parents want him to wait until February, and we're struggling to even meet with any of our other investigators. It's been a little crazy but good! We're working on meeting with more presidencies which should hopefully help. Transfer calls will be this Saturday, and I know I'm not training because the calls have already been made. I'm kind of bummed that I won't get that opportunity, but I think it's mostly my fault because I mentioned that I was too nervous to do something like that the beginning of my mission. The sisters that get called to train here usually train the rest of their mission, but it's still under the direction of the Spirit. I know that.

I hope Dad had a great Birthday!! I sent him an email!

The temple was great today (and I'm excited to finally have a preparation day!!) :). I'm still not completely sure about school. I just asked that I would find direction to what would help me learn so I could serve him in the best way I can.  The only places that came to mind were either community college, byui or both. I still don't know if I want to do pathways or not.

I love you!
~Sister Brinkerhoff

October 23rd:

Get this! I'm staying in the Rexburg YSA area (I've been in the same exact zone for almost a year now!!) and I'm going to be in a trio with Sister Smith and Sister Lewis! Totally not what I was expecting except I guessed that I was going to stay here. :) Sister Chandler and I think I'm staying in Rexburg the rest of my mission, but who knows? I've been up north of the mission this entire time, I've never been down south in IF. There's a reason to everything though. I do get to witness my zone completely change each transfer though ha ha! I don't know them well. I've met Sister Lewis but I haven't talked to her much. We're both pretty quiet I hear. She was half trained by a sister that was in my zone the beginning of the year, so we've been in touch about transfers. :) Unless someone tells us differently we will most likely stay in the same apartment, although I'm not sure how we are all three going to fit our stuff here.  We'll make it work. I should have let you send more scarves. It's getting a little cold, but I have two scarves that have worked well.

Oh I didn't tell you what I did this week! :) Our investigators are doing great, but one of them wants to push his baptism date until next year...ah! But he's still a great guy and we'll do our best to help him feel prepared. Trevor is our golden investigator. He has a friend (girlfriend or no? not sure) that includes him in her circle of friends and helps him find answers to his questions. She has been to almost every lesson, and she's very helpful! Two evenings ago Sister Houston and Sister Robb had a service project so I got to visit my old area! :) We got to help out at Brother Clements' fall festival. I forgot my camera, but I'll have to show you his pumpkin cannon. :) He used to be one of the ward mission leaders.

I should be going now, but I was happy to talk to you. I just found out from our housing coordinators that I'll be in the same place. They're going to add a bunk bed! I also wanted to add a couple of things, first that picture of me and sister Guerra with those two boys was a miracle story. They have an exchange student, and since we aren't allowed to teach her formal lessons we weren't sure how the dinner message was going to be received. We taught about prophets and the student Ola asked us questions about why God lets bad things happen. We were able to have a good conversation with her and help her find references in her Polish Book of Mormon. Later that evening we got a text from the mother of the family thanking us for that. Ola was impressed that we didn't ignore her questions like the priests and nuns she talked to in Poland. We were so happy! The boy sitting next to me also drew a cute picture of me. :) 


October 30th:

Hi Mom! I hope you are having a wonderful week! Trio life has been fun so far! Grandma sent us halloween decorations which we put up this morning after we cleaned. We have a baptism going on on Saturday!!! His name is "T" from the YSA stake, and he's very excited for his baptism. We're trying to get everything set up, and his interview is on Tuesday.  Sister Lewis is done with the training stage in her mission. She's really sweet and loves books. Sister Smith is also sweet and fun loving. She came from the visitor's center.

Doing anything fun for Halloween? I hope you have a wonderful week!  I hope this week goes a lot better for you! There are these sisters in my zone that mentioned a boy in one of their lessons that prayed to have the best day ever. They thought it was adorable, so they started praying for it every day and seem to have the best day ever. :)

Happy Halloween!👻
I love you! ❤
Love,
Sister Brinkerhoff







No comments: