Wednesday, December 27, 2017

July 2017 Email Excerpts

July 10th:

Sterling, Carlie, Terra AND CALVIN sent me a package (most likely for my year mark). Was everyone trying to keep him a secret or something? :) Has he been born yet?! They said he was due any day!!

The whole Rexburg Zone was able to help carry banners for the great floats in the Rexburg Parade on the 4th of July. It was nothing commercial thankfully. The banners were for the awards several groups could win (for example, best Novelty award, best horse, and so on). We ran into several families that we visit and teach regularly, which we loved! We spent the afternoon with our investigator "E" and her family. She's a sweetheart. We spent some time with them in the park and later on at their house. Their son just came home from his mission, and he showed us some tricks to familysearch.org. He has a powerful testimony on the converting power of family history. It was pretty neat. We later ate dinner with our zone, played basketball, and watched one of the approved movies. 

I've been good, but a little stressed. I'm not sure how to explain, other than I've been forgetful recently. It seems like whenever things are going really well they get really bad all of a sudden. I really am trying, but I feel like there's always something I'm doing wrong. Nobody's expected to be perfect or anything, but it's still frustrating.

Have an awesome week! I love you!
~Sister Brinkerhoff

July 17th:
Hi Mom! 
It's good to hear from you! :) Man, that's so weird to hear I have 160 days left! ha ha. No worries-- no trunky! I'm glad to know it's going fast for you. It's hard when you have to wait for someone to come home. The time here either goes fast or slow. There's no in between. On some happy news, our work is going to start kicking up again!! We have a new investigator, and hopefully two more the end of the week.  Our new investigator is a mom whose family is less active. Her daughter was baptized in town when she lived with her grandma.  Sister Chandler and her companion before began teaching her, and Sister Settle and Sister Eas helped her progress to baptism. She (the daughter), ended up moving back with her parents, who are not active at all, so it's been interesting. We've tried to come and teach recent convert lessons, and the family gets really distracted. But we finally managed to start having a meaningful conversation with the mom. Her daughter really wants her parents to be sealed in the temple, but they would always change the subject. She also isn't sure if she wants to be baptized or not, but she didn't object to participating in the lessons with her daughter. We called and set up a return appointment, so we'll see how this all goes.  The music and snacks are great, thank you! In answer to your question, I think I might be transferred this time, but I really don't know at this point.  I feel like I was supposed to be here. I've had ups and downs because I'm always learning something new, but I really love the people here in Henry's Fork. It will be sad to leave when I eventually do (whether that's because of a transfer or I go home in January!!). Transfers will be on August 2nd, so we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I feel pretty good about myself. I know I'm improving, but there are some days that are hard.  We're going on exchanges this evening. I'll be with Sister Cottrell in her area, BYU and other married stakes. I was in this area when I went on splits for a week after Sister Chandler went. We'll see how it goes.  

Have fun with your projects! They sound complicated but great at the same time. :) 

Also have a fun week! I love you!
~Sister Brinkerhoff

July 24th:
Hi Mom! 
Good Morning to you, too! I hope the dentist appointments go well. 

My week was really good! Sister Chandler told me she's coming back to Rexburg August 11th. She'll be back in time for "A's" baptism. They are very close. :)

We received three new investigators just last night!! Summer was so slow, so we are ecstatic right now! We've been trying to get a hold of a family ALL SUMMER and they never kept appointments, so we thought they lost interest. But the Bishop told us that the mom just wanted her husband home for the appointment. He's not a member and isn't interested (yet ðŸ˜‡), but he fully supports his son in what he wants to do. Their kids are really cute. A family also recently moved in to our area, and they have two kids who are interested, but the parents are divorced and we don't know if the Dad is going to give them permission to be baptized right now. We can still teach the lessons though. :)

We have also been teaching our other investigators and recent converts more often (home from vacation ðŸ™‚), which has been going well. The people who have a hard time focusing have improved so much! I've also had an easier time paying attention, but I have my moments... :P

I love you, and I hope you have a great day and week!
~Sister Brinkerhoff


July 31st:

Hi Mom!   
So I'm actually getting transferred this time :P. I'm going to YSA Rexburg area with Sister Deuel. She only has a transfer left, so I'm curious to see what will happen. Sister Deuel has been in my zone for a while. She and Sister Cottrell were companions.  We hang out in zone activities and we're good friends, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm packing a lot today, but luckily I don't have to move far. I'm still going to be in the same zone, just a different district. I'm a little nervous about serving in YSA wards. I haven't done that before, and every time I went on exchanges we mostly taught families. I've only participated in a few lessons with students at BYU, and these won't be students. So I will see how things go I guess. Sister Deuel's been in the YSA area for at least a transfer, so she'll know her way around.

I've still been in contact with Sister Settle and Sister Chandler. They both have a lot going on. Sister Settle leaves in two weeks so she'll be home in time for school, and Sister Chandler has to pack for school herself AND for her parents because they're moving to a different house soon. It's been fun to talk to them, and I hope these next few weeks won't be too crazy for them. Sister Settle will be with Sister Lomax while Sister Lomax is training a new missionary, and she'll be in Sister Houston's old area in IF West. Sister Lomax is great, so hopefully Sister Settle won't get too trunky (what she said) :). A lot of things are changing this transfer, and a lot of people are moving (including those who are leaving for home soon). 

I don't know if there's anything else going on except for another new investigator. She's a former investigator, but I don't think she really understood why Sister Chandler and I were coming before. Sister Houston and Sister Robb will do wonderful there. It's a little bittersweet to leave, but I think it's a good thing I'm going. Our neighbors are a little bit attached to the missionaries, which worries me. They were baptized in January, but they don't go to church very often. :( 

No comments: