Monday, April 3, 2017

(Sister Chandler's mom sent me some Easter goodies!!!!)


Good morning!!

I'll just get this out of the way first...odisfgnlagnael;gnaejrgnadro;vnaerk.gnaeklruljvg Whoo whoo!! I hope Kortney will have a blast in July!  When did she get her mission call?  Ha ha I'd probably be a nervous wreck as well!!  I'd probably die in the heat, different culture, and don't get me started on speaking spanish!!! ok ok I know Heavenly Father would help me either way, but seriously though!!  But I'm so excited for her!  She looks so happy!

Sounds like you had a crazy weekend, but a fun one!  How did the concert go in Mesa? No worries, I have trouble paying attention to conference.  But I actually had a weird weekend because this is the most I've ever gotten out of general conference in my life.  I received great guidance from the last in October, but this one was just special for some reason.  Maybe it's because I've been out this long and really needed some spiritual advice.  Every talk was really powerful to me.  I have such a short attention span, but this time I came with several questions.  I was particularly struggling with a few things, and the speakers helped to give me exactly what I needed (even if I wasn't expecting it).  Just the things they said about how the Holy Ghost and how he helps us was exactly what I was looking for.  Elder Stevenson's talk was perfect for that.  Elder Palmer's talk was also inspiring.  I'm not having the same struggles those missionaries might have had, but I'd told my companion right before that I was having a hard time feeling like I was pleasing the Lord.  That answered my concern right on the dot.  Elder Holland's talk helped with that too.  I'll be honest, I was sad seeing President Monson look the way he did.  His physical appearance has changed a lot since his wife passed away.  I still remember what he was like at the Boise temple celebration.  It seems like such a dramatic change.  He wasn't even present for all the sessions.  It must be getting harder for him.  They had subtitles on the screen because they were worried about him slurring his words, but I could understand him just fine.  His message and countenance is the only thing I haven't seen change in him.  He's still a cheery and optimistic person.  I was just grateful to hear him speak.

So, I've been working on my communication.  I'm far from perfect and still get really scared, but I had a miracle happen yesterday.  I prayed the night before about it.  Because Sister Chandler and I are the only sisters in our district, we've felt a little distant from the sisters in our zone.  Our zone hasn't changed at all this transfer except for one Elder (an Elder that was in my MTC district replaced him), so we've been working on what we can do to make our situation better.  As for me personally, I hardly ever go out of my way to initiate a conversation because I freak out and don't know what to say.  Saturday felt really awkward, so that night I said a prayer.  I told Heavenly Father how I was feeling and told Him that I promised I would try to say something.  Even if it wasn't anything big or grand.  All I asked was that I would be given an opportunity.  We didn't see our zone the next morning because we watched general conference at our stake center with "T" (investigator) and one of our recent converts "A".  We later watched the afternoon session with our zone like the day before.  When it was over everyone was starting to zoom out and I thought I lost my chance, but then Sister Settle stopped us to say bye. We hugged and I, grasping for straws, talked about how everyone kept torturing us because the priesthood session was apparently amazing.  It got a group conversation started and all the sisters were laughing and talking about other things. There wasn't any stress, just peace.  Today I tried to go out of MY way (everyone else is already doing this just fine) for once to hug and ask how the sisters were doing here at the fhc building.  They told me about their rough morning, and I probably wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't asked.  

Sorry this email took so long to write!!  An Easter box sounds fun! :)

I love you! 

Love,
Sister Brinkerhoff

No comments: